Wednesday, October 14, 2009

So why non-tech??? - for me

In my past I worked as a Venture Capitalist (a junior one at that) at Intel Capital, and discovered that although I really like the work and enjoy it since my background was not in engineering etc' I am always lacking the level of understanding I have compared to more technical people (especially in Intel were one is surrounded by top technical people).

While I believe that smart people can learn ANYTHING and quite fast if they set their mind to it (After working in McKinsey NYC this was basically my biggest revelation), I think that a person should work in and come from the main backbone of the organization - what this mumbo jumbo means? - If you want to work in a bank be a banker, if you want to work in a CPG (Consumer Packaged Good) company be a marketer etc'- since I believe in entrepreneurship and not the biggest believer in the new Web 2.0 start-ups (I guess now I will need to publish a thread on that) I wanted tp pursue areas of business I am strong in - hence non technology ventures.

Secondly, I discovered in my short life that if one is passionate about something he will be way better than someone who is equally smart and capable but not passionate, moreover, someone who is passionate about something, I believe, will be way better than a way more qualified individual even - since I discovered that my hobby is business (Reading the FT, WSJ, and any business book around like it is the best thriller novel has been something I loved forever) I wanted to pursue a business venture rather than an application, component or more technical venture. Something more tangible which I can relate to.

Lastly, I believe that most of the talent (especially in Israel) currently lies within the High-Tech world. This is where the pay is better from the start, it is global (usually) from day one and your mind is competing with similar minds worldwide - hence the best talent goes there. According to my education in University of Chicago GSB it means that there is a gap someplace else - and I believe that place to be the low-tech side of the world (I specifically mean the start-up world and less in the leading corporations)

Just my 2 cents
A

No comments:

Post a Comment